Three Times A Charm with Kelly Bakshi


Three Times a Charm is a weekly feature that spotlights authors, illustrators, bloggers, agents, editors or promoters from the publishing industry. 

This week non-fiction children’s author, Kelly Bakshi, joins us.

Thank you for agreeing to be a part of my weekly feature “Three Times a Charm.”

Thanks for interviewing me- love the format J

First, Kelly, tell us about you.

I am a former Social Studies teacher, turned stay at home mom to two little boys (a 2 month old and two year old- that’s right,  “spit em ups” and “poo-poo in the potty!” are part of my daily vernacular), turned non-fiction children’s book writer!  I live in New York City right along the Hudson River.  I have a serious weakness for cupcakes and am kind of obsessed with Dancing With the Stars…

Lol! I’d like to say that will go away, but as a mother with boys (and a husband) the potty humor never stops!

Tell us about your writing.

My newest book, Myth-Busting Columbus, challenges readers to look at the cold hard facts surrounding Columbus’s journeys and asks them to form opinions on his character.  It explains his incredible accomplishments but also details lies, manipulation and ignorance surrounding his expeditions.  It invites kids (ages 8-12) to question his actions and weigh his accomplishments.  I taught seventh grade social studies for eleven years and noticed that this age group loves to question authority, so here’s a chance to do so in a fun, educational way!


What a great concept!

Now, for the Threes. Share with us your top 3’s to help us know you a little better.

  • Top 3 leisure activities.

1.      One of my favorite things to do is blare pop songs with great hooks and loud choruses and sing at the top of my lungs while speeding in my car- preferably with the windows down and sunroof open!  I know it’s really bad and I never, ever do it while I have my kids in the car with me, but truth be told- I am an excellent driver and should be allowed to break speed limits! I especially love to do this while driving to my favorite outlet mall which brings me to my next leisure activity
2.      Outlet shopping ROCKS!!! Seriously, I love it!  I am a picker, sorter, and searcher for amazing clothes at incredible deals.  Not only do I love getting new things but also the hunt for bargains thrills me.  Plus, to top it all off, it’s the only time I allow myself to eat fast food.  DKNY boots and a happy meal all in one day- what could be better?
3.       I am a tired out mommy- I barely have time to shower let alone pamper myself so when I occasionally get out for a much needed pedicure, I thoroughly enjoy it!  I get the full Monty spa pedicure that includes a fifteen-minute foot massage- heavenly!  I also love it because, while I consider myself too high minded to actually purchase junk tabloid magazines, if they happen to be in my nail salon I might as well give them a quick glance.  Do I really care about the latest relationship saga of K. Stew and R Patz?  Ummmm, sadly, YES!

  • Top 3 pieces of advice for kids these days.

1.      To quote Journey, and the Glee Cover remake:  “Don’t Stop Believin” You can do anything, but you have to believe in yourself.  Know that you are unique and amazing and capable of anything you set your heart, mind and soul to.

2.      Thomas Jefferson said, "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." 
3.      Don’t speed, eat fast food or read junk magazines!
  • Top 3 professions you wanted to be when you grew up.
1.      Singer (see above)
2.      Race Car Driver (see above)
3.      Journalist

Kelly, where can our readers go to keep up with you and your writing?

I recently opened a twitter account and I’m totally obsessed with it, but I only have four followers, literally four!!! Please follow me and I promise to follow you back:

or “like” my KellyBakshiBooks facebook page:


Thanks for charming us on this week’s Three Times A Charm, Kelly. Best of luck with your writing!

THANKS!

GUESTS WANTED! I am always looking for guests for Three Times A Charm. If you are an author, illustrator or book reviewer, an agent or an editor. If you have something related to children’s publishing that you’d like people to know about, feel free to contact me about a future appearance.


Comments

  1. Hi, Kelly. Loved learning about you and your work. I can picture you now, roaring down the road, singing at the top of your lungs. Bet you get a few curious looks.

    Best of luck to you with your writing. And your two little boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't Kelly sound like fun!? This is why I love meeting new authors! Thanks for stopping in, Beverly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me