Three Times A Charm with Jennifer Gladen

Welcome to Three Times A Charm. I love meeting new authors, illustrators, bloggers, agents, editors or promoters from the children’s publishing industry and sharing their careers with my readers.

Today’s guest is a fellow GAP author, Jennifer Gladen.

Jennifer Gladen is a children’s author who lives and writes in Pennsylvania. She is the author of A Star in the Night, Teresa’s Shadow, and Angel Donor through Guardian Angel Publishing. She contributes as a columnist at Catholic Mom and is a member of the Catholic Writers Guild (C.W.G.) and the S.C.B.W.I. She has written several children’s stories, poems and articles, and started her own Catholic e-zine titled My Light Magazine.

Hi Jennifer! Welcome to Strands of Thought. Can you tell us about your books.

A Star in the Night- David makes his way home on Christmas Eve and sees this is no ordinary night. Accompanied by a shimmering star and some tough decisions, David encounters three experiences that will change his view of Christmas forever

Teresa’s Shadow- One night at bedtime Teresa discovers Corky, a furry visitor, in her room. Corky is no ordinary monster. In fact he seems just as scared as Teresa. Teresa soon realizes she must help Corky get home. But how can she when she’s afraid of the dark and Corky is afraid of the light?


Angel Donor – Olivia never asked to have a disease like Biliary Atresia. It made her liver sick and only a transplant will make her better. After waiting several months and close to losing hope, she gets the call she’s been waiting for. The journey of her life is about to begin

I also do school visits and presentations about writing and the publishing world. In addition, authors frequently ask me to review and critique their work. So I am happy to announce that I am available to offer my critiquing and proofreading services for a small fee. Contact me at jennifer_gladen5@msn.com with Critique Request in the subject line if you are interested in a professional critique at a low cost. Include in your e-mail: title, word length, genre and age group. I specialize in children’s literature.

I recommend my book to readers who like: 

A Star in the Night is pretty unique, but it’s closest to picture books on the true meaning of Christmas. Fans of Go Away Big Green Monster or A Monster Under Alex’s Bed may enjoy Teresa’s Shadow. Angel Donor is another unique book, but similar books are Now Caitlin Can and The Inside Story.

Readers, Jennifer wants to know: If an author could visit your child’s school, what would your child enjoy the most? What would they want to see?

Now, for the Threes. Share with us your top 3’s to help us know you a little better.

  • Top 3 skills to hone for people just starting in your business.

Three skills an author must hone are: Submission Etiquette, Using a critique group, and patience. I also run a children’s magazine, and these issues pop up all the time. Follow the submission guidelines to the letter. Include your cover letter and bio – look professional. Critique groups are essential both for those just starting out and for experienced authors. The last thing you want to send to a busy editor is a rough draft. Finally, patience is a must. Following up is good and crucial, but allow for the allotted time listed in the guidelines. You want your name to be known for your work, not as THAT author.

  • Top 3 leisure activities.

I read. I read every night. Reading ties right into writing. My other relaxing activities are enjoying a cup of coffee while reading my SCBWI bulletin, and networking with other authors (Yes, I am attached to my computer. But, my kids and my cat always know where to find me.)

  • Top 3 professions you wanted to be when you grew up.

I always wanted to be an author. I wrote in journals, diaries and old copybooks to create books.  I also wanted to be a teacher and a mom. Interestingly, I have managed to do all three. But writing has always been my first love.

 Where can our tech savvy readers find out more about you and your work?

Please include contact information; websites, blogs, social media here:
You can find me and my books at:
Twitter: @jengl

Thank you for charming us on this week’s Three Times A Charm, Jennifer! Best of luck to you and your writing.

GUESTS WELCOME!  I am always looking for guests for Three Times A Charm. If you are an author, illustrator or book reviewer, an agent or an editor. If you have something related to children’s publishing that you’d like people to know about, feel free to contact me about a future appearance

Comments

  1. Thank you for having me. It was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kai and Jennifer: I enjoyed reading about A Star in the Night. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me

Robot Writing - What It Is & How to Avoid It