Not Writing Takes As Much Discipline As Writing

You’re sitting in a group of friends or family, smiling politely whenever you notice similar reactions from others. Drumming your fingers you think, If I have to sit through another re-enactment of the Christmas of 2002, I’ll scream. All the while your main character is whispering to his leading lady in your head. Crud! He’s saying some really awesome stuff!!!

“Excuse me,” you say. “I need to use the restroom.” You grab your phone/notebook/tape recorder and sneak away.

There are times within the creative process that it is best to decline social invitations. But there are also times when it is really important for you to gag that m.c. and engage in the real world. Dance recitals. School performances. Graduation. Just to name a few.

I’m thinking of this because evening approaches and though I would love to continue to write and create, I also want to live my life and soon the family will be home allowing me the prime opportunity to live my awesome life and gather more writing fodder!

Comments

  1. Great post. The writing will be there later. Enjoy the recitals, plays, and time with your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beverly!

      Being creative can sometimes become all consuming and we must tear ourselves away.

      Delete
  2. Yes, exactly! I don't think I used to "zone out" as a child.... Which is probably the opposite of a lot of people! But I definitely catch myself thinking of other worlds, characters, or fun ideas when I'm off doing other things. But it is exactly like you say..... Going out and living life can also inspire and spark new ideas and projects!!! :) Enjoy EVERYTHING!!! :) ~Kerry~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I've done that - left a room and scribbled on a scrap piece of paper. Even on toilet paper. #slightlyembarrassed

    Sheri at Writer's Alley

    Home of Rebel Writer CREED 2014
    Mighty Minion Bureau Team #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me