Favorite Author's Favorites

Welcome to FAVE-A-FAVE, all about author favorites. I love that the internet gives us access to authors. I’m a fangirl and I’m not afraid to admit it, and I LOVE to be able to help readers get to know their favorite authors better as well as discover new ones.

Grab a pen and paper, or log onto your Goodreads account, because more than likely you’ll find a title or two to add to your very own list. Please visit the authors’ websites and browse their work. Be sure to come back weekly to learn more about many awesome authors!

First, I asked authors to share with us the scariest book they’ve read.

Period. 8, a Young Adult book by Chris Crutcher is the scariest non-scary book I’ve read.  Sheer treachery is afoot when someone from Period 8 goes missing.  Crutcher is inspired by keeping everything teen comfort and reality while shocking his readers, most of whom do not see it coming. Nancy Stewart – (Nancy writes fiction for kids and young adults)

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alving Schwartz. I honestly only got through a couple—I’m a wimp when it comes to scary! – Meradeth Houston (Meradeth writes for Young Adult and New Adult readers of fantasy and science fiction. Scientist by day, writer by night—basically she’s running on no sleep!)

Katie L. Carroll (author of fiction for teens and kids) shared her favorite YA Fantasy.

THE KISS OF DECEPTION by Mary E. Pearson
I love, love, love when a book surprises me. The whole time I was reading this book (which wasn’t very long because I simply flew through it), I sensed something was off, but I never could quite figure it out. And when everything finally comes together, it still came as a shock to me. That’s the best I can do to explain what I love about this book without being spoilery! [Extra points to Katie for using the word spoilery.]

Deek Rhew (who is an adult thriller author) was pretty adamant that best voice in a book goes to:

I’d have to give this to Nelson DeMille’s character, John Corey, who first appeared in the book Plum Island and since been a main character in half a dozen follow-up books. This guy is sarcastic, capable, chased by demons, an NYPD cop-turned-FBI-agent, but still has a good heart.

But for Dianne Hartsock, (author of m/m erotic romances, both contemporary and fantasy, psychological thrillers, and anything else that comes to mind.) best voice goes to:

Hands down, it's Bryan Dennison in The Red Sheet by Mia Kerick. This author has captured the essence of a sixteen year old boy to perfection. I know this boy, met him in my brothers and the guys I went to high school with. I love this boy for all his faults and his great desire to be a better person than he has been.

Finally, I wanted to know an author's favorite author.

Like many of us, Crystal Collier (who writes fantastic genre mash-ups for teens and young or young at heart women. There may even be cheese involved. Or not.) couldn’t list just one!

Too many. Cassandra Clare, Dean Koontz, Barbara Hambly, Dickens, Charlotte Bronte, Anne Ursu and more.


We’d love to hear your favorites. Share some in the comments, or ask our authors more about theirs.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the fun list, Kai! So many awesome books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meradeth, I totally forgot about the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books. Those were the most terrifying books I read as a kid, but I couldn't stop reading them!

      Delete
    2. I agree, Meradeth. So many good books.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for including me this time around, Kai!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list Kai! Thanks for including me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. Love learning so much about everyone's tastes. (Especially when it involves cheese.) =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me