Three Times a Charm with CM Savage

Welcome to Three Times A Charm. I love to introduce readers to the people involved in children’s publishing. Today we welcome middle grade author, CM Savage. Carolyn, can tell us a little about yourself?

Thank you so much for hosting me!

I write under the name C. M. Savage. I have always enjoyed writing, but did not see it as a career option when I was growing up. Instead I followed my passion for animals. I ended up working with and protecting endangered birds in Hawaii and with rehabilitated wildlife that could not be returned to the wild in Oregon. Once I had two wonderful daughters though, I decided to revisit my passion for writing so that I could stay at home. After committing to myself that I would give writing a serious try, it took about five years of writing whenever I could, often late at night or in small increments, to finish my manuscript. I’m excited to say my persistence paid off. My debut novel was published last October by Saguaro Books.

Here are a few other tidbits about me. I love watching birds of prey. I have been known to pull over on the side of the road to point out a Pueo (Hawaiian Owl) to my daughters and watch it as long as it is visible. I’ve summited Mt. Hood and Mt. Kilimanjaro. I enjoy all types of crafting. I want to have sheep and make my own yarn.

It took me six years to get a book contract after I decided to pursue writing as a career. Hats off to persistence. Tell us about your book, The Gardenia Curse.

Reviews for my middle-grade/tween fantasy novel say, “The Gardenia Curse is spell binding and full of page turning adventure. . . kept me turning the pages well into the wee hours of the morning.” and “Once you are a few chapters in; you can not put it down.”

Thirteen-year-old Eva Thomas finds herself in a life threatening mystery when her dreams become real. Night after night, she is transported to Dreamland, where an evil being, the Shadow, wants her dead.  Can Eva save herself and her dreams before it’s too late?

I’m currently working on the sequel to The Gardenia Curse.

What readers would you recommend your book to?

This is a very good question. One reader told me they thought people who liked Nightmares! by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller would also enjoy The Gardenia Curse. I just started reading this so I can see if I agree. I would recommend my book to readers who enjoyed Owl in Love by Patrice Kindl and who, in general, love fantasies with mystery, evil and a touch of romance.

Now for the threes. Give us your top 3 responses to the following to help us get to know you better.

  • Top 3 books you recommend reading and why you recommend them.

I’ve currently been on a Jessica Day George kick. I’ve loved all of the books I’ve read by her and am currently reading her new realease Fridays with the Wizards to my oldest at bedtime. For middle grade readers, I highly recommend the Tuesdays at the Castle series, which Fridays with the Wizards belongs to. It’s an engaging read about a castle that has a personality of it’s own. The characters are endearing and griffins are involved. What more do I need to say? (I love magical creatures!) For YA readers, I recommend her Princess of the Midnight Ball series. It’s a fun new twist on some classic fairy tales and for those that knit (which I do) there are patterns at the end. I just need to find some time now to try out the patterns. I especially loved the second book in this series, Princess of Glass, which is a retelling of sorts of Cinderella, but with a major twist in that the main character is not “Cinderella”.

My last recommendation would be for Chris Colfer’s The Land of Stories series. From the start, his writing draws you in just like the main characters get drawn into their grandmother’s storybook and holds you until after the last page is turned. I can’t wait for the next one. It’s also a series, like the Castle one, that both my 8 year old and I have been able to enjoy together.

  • Top 3 snacks to munch on while working.

Coffee (that’s a snack, right?), popcorn (although this can be dangerous around the computer if it’s buttered, which mine usually is), and any type of chewy candy (licorice and Jelly Bellys being my favorite).

  • Coffee is absolutely a snack! Okay, last but not least, top 3 professions you wanted to be when you grew up.

Veterinarian, Veterinarian, Veterinarian. This changed part way through college though, when I realized I wanted to be outside and help protect wildlife instead.


Where can our tech savvy readers find you and your book online?


Carolyn, it’s been a pleasure hosting you today. Best of luck to your book and with your writing. Aloha.


THANKS!

Comments

  1. Congratulations on your book, Carolyn. Dreams are fascinating and they seem so real most times. I hope this dream doesn't come true. Persistence does pay off. Best of luck with your writing. Lovely cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Beverly. I agree. Eva's dreams are ones I would not want to live myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me